When and where? 15th- 17th November 2022, Dubai World Trade Centre, Dubai
This three-day event hosts industry keynote speeches for educators and professionals involved in supplying educational content to the MENA region. Alongside a comprehensive exhibition, the talks and interactive experiences showcase the latest trends in education.
As in previous years, we’ll be attending GESS Dubai for three days of important discussions about the current landscape of education. The Department for International Trade and Oriel Square’s industry association, BESA, usually make up the largest single international presence at GESS Dubai, helping to maintain the influence and reputation of the British education, educational publishing and EdTech industries globally. This year, Sam, John, and Keira will be heading to the halls of the Dubai World Trade Centre. Do get in touch as they would love to meet up.
Sam’s pick of the previews:
There are a large number of sessions, either in English or in Arabic with simultaneous English translation. These are the events that Sam is most looking forward to attending:
Tuesday 15th November
- Felix Malombe, Executive Director for STEAMLabs Africa, shares how to implement EdTech within school spaces in ‘STEAM Education: Preparing the Next Generation of Innovators and Creative Mind through Innovative Teaching’ in the Future Transformation Zone Conference.
- Learn from the Education Development Trust about the problems and solutions for evidence-based practice in the classroom in ‘What works – a global perspective on unleashing evidence into policy and practice’ at the Global Learning Conference.
Wednesday 16th November
- Hear from a bilingual school about how they developed students’ language abilities in ‘A Roadmap for Improving Arabic Teaching & Learning – A Journey at Al-Bayan Bilingual School’ at the Growth Mindset conference.
- Dr. John Collick, Head of International Education Strategy for Promethean, explores the potential of game-based learning in the classroom in ‘Neuroscience, Games and Storytelling’ at the Skills Development Training Conference.
Thursday 17th November
- Learn from the CEO of EdShed, Dr. Martin Saunders, about how to enhance retention and enrich learning through ‘Effective phonics teaching using stories, songs and actions’ at the Global Learning Conference.
Making the most of the trip
Although the conference makes for a very busy few days, we always try to make time for some exploration and relaxation. Here are a few things that help us make the most of our visit:
1. Experience the city of Dubai!
If possible, plan your stay so you have time to make the most of the show and see some of Dubai as well. The Old Quarter should be on your list, as well as the higher profile Marina, Waterfront, and Burj Khalifa/ Mall areas.
2. Arrange as many meetings as you can before you go.
Like all trade fairs, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the hustle and bustle. Local publishers, EdTech organisations and other education-related industries will be there alongside UK and US providers. Ministries and their agencies in the region have a very high profile, so there will be plenty of both familiar and unfamiliar brands and people to get to know.
3. Speak with local educators.
Take the opportunity, if you can, to visit schools to talk to local teachers, alongside talking to senior leaders who will be at GESS. We’ll be developing our direct links with both local and international schools in the region while we’re there.
Oriel Square is heading to the GESS conference between the 15th and 17th of November. Drop us a line if you’ll be there too, we’d love to say hello!